Looking for an alternative to N26?
While Europe’s top neobank offers a range of innovative features and services, it may not suit everyone’s needs or preferences (disclaimer: I’ve recently switched to a different neobank myself).
We’ve rounded up some of the best N26 alternatives with their features, pros, and cons to help you make an informed decision.
What is N26 and why people might want to look for N26 alternatives
N26 is a German neobank that offers a range of financial products and services, including mobile banking, online payments, investment accounts, and insurance. It has gained popularity in recent years for its convenient and user-friendly banking experience, as well as its focus on digital and mobile banking.
However, there are a few reasons why someone might want to look for alternatives to N26. Additionally, N26 only offers its services in Europe and it is not available in the US and other countries.
Furthermore, N26 has been criticized for its customer support, with some customers reporting difficulty getting in touch with customer service representatives or having their issues resolved promptly.
Read our review of N26.
Top 5 N26 Alternatives
- Revolut – best for availability and multi-currency travel card
- Wise – best all-rounder, and best for low-cost international transfers
- OFX – best exchange rates for large transfers and no fees over $5,000
- Starling Bank – best for multi-currency account and zero-fee travel card
- WorldRemit – best for availability and cash pick-up options
Since its establishment in 2015, Revolut has emerged as a prominent fintech company that facilitates a diverse range of financial services online. It offers multi-currency accounts, money transfers, cryptocurrency, and currency exchange, which are available in over 200 countries and with 29 currencies.
This makes Revolut a highly accessible platform for anyone seeking to make international money transfers.
- Sign up process is simple
- User-friendly mobile application
- Utilizes inter-bank exchange rates to minimize costs
- Revolut debit card is universally accepted by Visa and MasterCard merchants
- Free monthly ATM withdrawals of up to $1,200 for US users and £200/€200 for users in other countries
- Available in over 200 countries
- Supports 29 currencies
- Revolut’s Vault lets you earn interest while saving money.
- Customer support is only available through live chat.
- A 1% markup is added to foreign transactions on weekends due to market closures.
- Low transfer limit of $1000 for Standard plan users.
With a focus on providing affordable exchange rates and low fees, Wise has become a popular choice for international money transfers.
For select currencies, transfers can start from as low as 0.5%. Transfers can also arrive within minutes for certain currency routes. Other transfers are complete within 1-2 days.
Wise also allows users to manage over 50 currencies in their accounts and switch between them with ease, which is especially useful for those who frequently send money overseas.
- No hidden fees
- Fast transfer times.
- No markup is added to the exchange rate
- Multilingual support is available online, in-app, and by phone.
- No cryptocurrency options.
- No cash deposits or pick-up options.
See our review of Wise.
OFX is a renowned global foreign exchange company that facilitates international money transfers for both individuals and businesses. In addition to offering money transfer services, the company provides a variety of other services, including spot contracts, forward contracts, limit orders, and more.
OFX’s international money transfer system is available in over 170 countries, catering to a vast global audience. With nearly 5,000 reviews, the company has earned a rating of 4.2 out of 5 on Trustpilot.
- Widely available in 170+ countries
- Offers both recurring and one-time transfer options.
- Free transfers available
- Minimum transfer of $1,000.
- Only allows for bank transfers.
See our review of OFX.
Starling Bank is a UK-based digital-only bank founded in 2014. It offers a range of personal and business banking services that can be accessed through its mobile app, which is available on iOS and Android devices.
Via the app, you can send international payments to 36 countries with 21 currencies.
Its multi-currency business account is useful for businesses trying to manage foreign transactions more easily. A card is also available that lets you spend and withdraw cash with zero fees.
- Zero-fee card for spending overseas
- Multi-currency account for businesses
- 24/7 customer support
- Low transfer limit of £300 per day.
- Relatively high loan rate.
Established in 2010 and based in London, United Kingdom, WorldRemit is a leading provider of international money transfer services. It’s available in over 150 countries with more than 110 currencies available.
The company enables users to send money overseas with a range of options including bank transfers, cash pickups, mobile wallets, and airtime top-ups. It’s also easily accessible via the website or iOS/Android app.
- Fast international money transfers.
- Competitive exchange rates.
- Various payment options are available.
- Multilingual support.
- Fees can vary based on payment methods.
- Low daily and monthly transfer limits.
- The verification process can be tedious.
See our review of WorldRemit.
Alternative to the N26 cards for traveling
The N26 travel card is a great option for people traveling abroad. However, there are also some disadvantages of N26 cards such as the 1.7% fee on ATM withdrawals overseas and inapt customer support, which can be critical when abroad. Here are some alternatives to consider.
Revolut offers free ATM withdrawals of up to $1,200 per month for users in the US. Users in other countries are limited to £200/€200 per month in ATM withdrawals. Exceeding this limit results in a 2% fee.
Wise offers a debit card that allows you to withdraw up to €200 per month without any fees. A 2% fee applies thereafter.
Starling Bank’s card can be used for foreign transactions with zero fees. This includes zero fees for ATM withdrawals in other countries. This makes it an incredibly cost-effective option that’s worth considering.
Things to keep in mind when choosing an alternative
- Security: Make sure the alternative has strong security measures to protect your personal and financial information.
- Fees: Look at the fees for transactions, which may vary by country, currency, and transfer amounts.
- Availability: Check that the money transfer service is available in your country and the primary countries where you want to transfer money. You should also note whether all of the currencies that you need are supported.
- User experience: Choose an alternative with a user-friendly interface and easy navigation.
- Integrations: If you use other financial apps, look for an alternative that integrates with them for a seamless experience.
- Customer support: Pick an alternative with a highly rated customer support team to help as it can put your mind at ease if you experience any transaction issues.
- Features: Consider important features such as P2P payments, cash collections, budgeting tools, and buying and selling cryptocurrency.