Cash App is fantastic for US and UK users who want to transfer funds with zero costs domestically, or between the two countries.
However, it is not possible to transfer funds internationally outside of the US and the UK.
Fear not! Having been in your shoes, we’ve done the research and found great Cash App alternatives for international payments. And of course, we focused on the cheapest options first, to make the transition from Cash App as seamless as possible 😉
Cash App alternatives for international transfers
- Wise – best for low-cost international transfers
- Remitly – best for availability and cash pickups
- Xoom – best for the variety of transfer and receiving options
- OFX – best exchange rates for large transfers
- WorldRemit – best for availability and currency exchange rate
Wise offers reasonable exchange rates and nominal fees, with transfers beginning at just 0.5% for some currencies. Wise enables users to maintain multiple currencies in their accounts and easily switch between them, making it a convenient solution for those who regularly send money overseas.
It offers transfer services to over 80 countries, which provides users with more reach compared to Cash App.
- Low fees with no hidden charges.
- Free Wise to Wise transfers in the same currency.
- Fast transfers.
- Robust safety measures are available.
- It’s registered with regulatory boards, such as FinCEN.
- Offers multilingual support online, in-app, and via telephone.
- There is no physical branch network, so cash deposits are not possible.
- Cannot be used in cryptocurrency which is a significant downside compared to Cash App.
Read our review of Wise.
Remitly was established in 2011 and is a digital platform that helps users send money overseas to over 100 destinations, including developing countries.
Over the years, it has seen significant growth, serving over 3 million clients and handling over $10 billion in transfers annually.
Remitly provides a reliable, safe, and user-friendly platform, supported by 24/7 customer service. It also has various transfer options, including bank transfers, cash pick-ups, and mobile wallet transfers.
- The mobile app is easy to use.
- Registered with FinCen and DFI for security.
- Can transfer to more than 100 countries.
- Cash pickup available
- Limited options for receiving money in certain countries.
- Funding transfers with credit cards cost 3% of the transfer amount.
See our review of Remitly.
Xoom is a subsidiary of PayPal and a popular platform for international transfers. It offers transfers to over 160 countries, including many countries in Europe and Asia.
Xoom uses competitive exchange rates and provides users with transparent fees. Although, its fees can end up being costly if you’re sending large amounts of money consistently. There’s a standard $10 fee for transactions above $1,000. Users are charged 1% of transfer amounts that are under $1,000.
The platform is known for its low minimum transfer limits which can make it ideal for people looking to send small amounts of money. Xoom also offers a mobile app for easy access to its services, allowing users to send money from their smartphones.
- A range of transfer options, including bank transfers, cash pickups, and mobile money transfers.
- 24/7 customer support via phone, email, and live chat.
- Ability to track transfers in real-time and receive SMS updates.
- The transfer fees can be costly.
- Expensive exchange rates.
- Some notice delays with their transfers.
See our review of Xoom.
OFX, formerly OzForex, is a well-established provider of international money transfer services. They offer a comprehensive range of services, such as spot contracts, forward contracts, limit orders, and more, to cater to the needs of individuals and businesses looking to transfer funds overseas.
What sets OFX apart from other foreign exchange companies is its commitment to providing competitive exchange rates. This is achieved by having a direct relationship with banks and financial institutions, cutting out intermediaries, and allowing their customers to save money.
- Extensive global bank network for convenient access.
- Competitive exchange rates for large transfers.
- Both one-time and recurring transfer options.
- Strong customer support.
- Only supports bank transfers.
- Higher cost for smaller transfers.
- Limited to the English language only.
See our review of OFX.
WorldRemit is a leading online platform for international money transfers. The company was founded in 2010 and allows individuals to send money to friends and family abroad in more than 150 countries.
WorldRemit is considered a better choice than Cash App for international transfers because it allows for transfers between more countries with competitive exchange rates.
- Wide reach with 150+ countries.
- Competitive exchange rates.
- Convenient and easy-to-use mobile and desktop platforms.
- Fast & secure transfers.
- Multiple payment options.
- Users may incur additional fees based on the payment methods used.
- The verification process can be lengthy.
- The transfer limits can be frustrating.
See our review of WorldRemit.
Things to keep in mind when choosing an alternative
When choosing a money service provider, there is a set of questions to ask yourself before making a final decision. The section below provides you with some guidance on the main factors to consider to ensure that you pick the best Cash App alternative.
- Security: Ensure that the alternative has strong security measures in place to protect your personal and financial information.
- Fees: Consider the fees charged for transactions. This includes transfer fees, exchange rate markups, and currency conversions. These fees may vary depending on the country you’re in and the currencies that you want to transfer with.
- Availability: Check if the alternative is available in your country and if it supports your local currency.
- User experience: Look for an alternative with a user-friendly interface and easy navigation. This ensures that you can quickly and easily manage your international payments.
- Integrations: If you use other financial apps, it may be worth looking for an alternative that integrates with those apps.
- Customer support: An alternative with a highly rated customer support team is best as they can help you with any technical difficulties. This can alleviate a lot of stress if you experience any issues with your money transfers.
- Features: Consider what features are important to you, such as P2P payments, cash collections, and budgeting tools. You should also consider whether you’d like to be able to buy and sell cryptocurrency with your chosen money transfer service. The fees for this vary amongst the companies that provide this service.
See Cash App vs PayPal comparison.
Cash app card international fees
Cash App’s only international routes are between the UK and the US. There are no fees for sending or requesting international payments via Cash App. The company uses the mid-market exchange rate which is updated regularly to ensure that users are always provided with the latest rates. There is also no additional fee or markup added to the given exchange rate.
How to use Cash App in the UK
1. Download Cash App from the App Store or Google Play Store.
2. Open the app and create a new account using your email address or mobile number.
3. Link your Cash App to your bank account. You can then fund transfers directly from your bank account into your Cash App.
4. The account has limits, to begin with, which can be lifted by verifying your identity. These limits include sending up to £250 in seven days, receiving up to £500 in seven days, and having a maximum balance of £500.
5. You can use Cash App to send and request money from people in the UK or the US by entering their Cashtag, phone number, or email address.
6. There’s an option to leave a note which can describe what the payment is for. You can then click “Pay” or “Request” to complete the transaction.
7. Users can withdraw their Cash App balance directly to their bank account at any time. Click on your Cash App balance and navigate to the Banking section. Click “Cash Out”, enter the withdrawal amount, and click “Cash Out”.
A Cash App Cash Card can be linked to your account and allows you to spend your balance anywhere online or in-store that accepts Visa debit card payments. Users can receive Boosts when using the Cash Card which are discounts on services and products.
There are no fees when using a Cash Card and it can be ordered on the app by clicking “Get Cash Card” and following the on-screen steps.
List of countries that use Cash App
Cash App is only available in the US and the UK.
Lowest-fee international transfers
Wise is one of the cheapest services to send money internationally via bank transfers. It has low fees and uses the mid-market exchange rate without any markups which can be more affordable than other money transfer services.